Sunday, July 6, 2008

Summer Training Log - Week of July 6

Goal this week: 150 miles - Goal was Reached

Monday, July 7, 2008

Miles: 30
Weight: 174
Route: Sossaman to Guadalupe. Guadalupe to Crismon. Crismon to Baseline. Baseline to Goldfield Road to Lost Dutchman Blvd. Turned around and went back to University. University to Sossaman. Sossaman to home.

Other exercise: 20 minutes of elyptical work, stretching and light upper body.

Comments: The ride was great today. Full recovery from Friday's ride. I felt strong. Cardio was great. Recovery was very good. Another one of those rides that was pure joy.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Miles: 30
Route: First round of training at Fitness Works. Did a 50 minute RPM cycling workout. Hills, chase, speed routines. First time I have ever done that. It didn't kill me but it was a work out. The instructor was a former racer.

Second round of training was coming home and hopping on my bike for an additional 12 miles of speed work. I had the good fortune of a monsoon wind to ride against. Made a loop by going down Sossaman to Guadalupe. Guadalupe to Crismon. Crismon to Southern and Southern to Sossaman and home.

My legs are still tingling but I can feel the improvement in stamina. Breathing was a little tougher today - may be the dust in the air from the wind.

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Miles: 43 (between two rides)
Route: Morning ride - Sossaman to University. University to Ellsworth. Ellsworth to the top of Usury Pass. Return home the same direction. Evening ride - Sossaman to University. University to Power. Power to McKellips. McKellips to Recker. Recker to about 4200 N. Turned around and went back to Recker and McDowell. Ride cut short due to a monsoon.

The morning ride today was a simple out and back. Did not have enough time to get too elaborate. Followed my ride by attending a physical therapy session in an attempt to correct an old lower back injury. A lot of core strength work and hamstring stretching. The exercises are making a difference.

The evening ride was cut short due to a fast moving monsoon. I hung out at a CVS on McDowell and Recker through the wind and rain. A nice guy and his girl friend offered me a ride in their 9 passenger van. What a gesture. I was truly touched.

Friday, July 11, 2008

Miles: 30
Weight: 172
Route: Sossaman to Guadalupe. Guadalupe to Crismon. Crismon to Baseline. Baseline to Goldfield Road. Goldfield Road to Lost Dutchman/Brown. Brown to 82nd. 82nd to University. University to past Sossaman. Wound my way to Clearview. Clearview to Superstition Springs Blvd. SS Blvd to home.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Miles: 20 For a total of 153 miles this week. Goal is met!
Weight: 172
Route: Quick and easy loop up Baseline to the Pinal County line. North to Southern. Southern to Clearview. Clearview to Superstition Springs and then home.

Riding at the beginning of the week was fairly easy but the latter part of the week was more difficult for some reason. I noticed I was having a difficult time sleeping after Tuesday. I got a littel sun burned on my arms on Thursday. Maybe a combination of things. I feel like I am a stronger rider but just more fatigued this week

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Dad, it looks great! It's so nice to get your updates on the family and on your biking. If you ever come up to Utah with your bike, you should go riding with Kathy (Erik's mom). She's really gotten into it, and takes 30 mile trips. She's even got padded pants. :) Love you.

Dave Boizelle said...

Thanks for being my lone subscriber.