Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Tribute to Rex Spackman

Early on Tuesday Morning, September 16, my father-in-law, Rex Spackman, passed away in his sleep. He was 80 years old. He is survived by his wife, Mildred and their 14 children.

I met Rex Spackman for the first time when I visited my wife to be at her home in Lewiston, Utah. I learned later that he was concerned at how long I had been at the Spackman home visiting his daughter that day. He wanted to know my intentions!

I remember the day I called Rex to ask for his daughter's hand in marriage. I was fairly nervous about calling him to respectfully ask for his blessing. I don't remember much of what I said but I do remember how much he appreciated the call and the follow up letter.

During the first years of our marriage, I visited the Spackman home frequently. I got to know Rex fairly well. I would often go out to the milk barn to talk with him while he milked his cows. He would typically ask me to help with some aspect of the milking. I helped him on the farm and on his rental properties now and then. I occassinally joined him to watch Lawrence Welch, his favorite TV program. We had some lengthy discussion on range of topics - business, politics, religion, world affairs. He was a well educated and informed man. I enjoyed those discussions and I hope he did as well.

Rex allowed me to borrow a little money at one point in my married life to help us with a down payment. Beef from the farm and other gifts from time to time helped us survive our early married years. I was always welcome to borrow the pick up to drive up to High Creek to fish. There was an expectation, however, that I repaid him with a fish or two. He was peaved if I ever chose to release the fish.

Over the years, I developed a great respect for my father-in-law. He was the father of 14 capable and talented children. Anyone who can raise and support a family of that size has my respect. Rex was a gifted teacher. He was a skilled musician and a respected farmer. He was a good father-in-law and friend.

I will miss Rex Spackman.

No comments: