Saturday, March 1, 2008

Desert Wildflowers

Today, my wife and I went out to see the wildflowers in the east vally. The best time to view the wildflowers is mid-February through mid-March. We have received the necessary rain to germinate the seeds and it looks like it will be a great wildflower season all over the state.

We drove up to Bulldog Canyon in the Tonto National Forest. This is located east of Apache Juntion just off the Apache Trail and past the ghost town. I have included some spectacular photos from this hike. The yellow flower is the Mexican Golden Poppy. The purple spikey flower is Arizona Lupine. The other purple flower is Sand Verbena.

These pictures also show an assortment of Sonoran Desert cactus. The tall, thick cactus with the arms is, of course, the Saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea). The squat bushy looking cactus with the silvery glow is Teddy Bear Cholla (Opuntia bigelovii). It looks soft and cuddly from a distance. Not!


Mexican Poppies having a peak experience.

A Mexican Poppy family in all their splendor.

Poppies in forefront and a lichen crusted out
cropping in the background.


Fishhook Barrel Cactus.

A patch of poppies with Saguaro and Mesquite.

A river of Mexican Poppies.

Teddy Bear Cholla with Mexican Poppies.

Mexican Poppies and Sand Verbena.


Sand Verbena

Unbloomed Sand Verbena on the left.
Arizona Lupine to the right.

Attack of the Teddy Bear Cholla! The spines
of these critters were embedded in my left
thigh.

Dave won but was inflicted with grevious
wounds. The perils of getting just the
right camera angle.


The flagship of the Superstition Mountains.

6 comments:

Erik said...

Dave, I think that you should include more pictures of your smokin' hot legs. The flowers really look awesome.

Dave Boizelle said...

Erik, I am planning on doing a smokin hot legs series in the future. First I need to work on the tan and get another 1000 sculpting cycling miles under my belt!

Unknown said...

Dave, Can I get in on the contest? I'll make your legs look fantastic! In fact, if we can get all the Spackman men to compete, you'll be the winner socks down! :)
-Great nature photos. I wish I could be there in person!

Lauren said...

Dad, I love it! Way to make use of your blog! It would be nice to be there right now to see everything in bloom. Erik says he's in favor of the Glendale DO school, so who knows? Maybe we'll see it next year.

Dave Boizelle said...

Steve, this is great, a hot legs contest! I will go along with it if you agree to make friends with a Teddy Bear Chollo!

Dave Boizelle said...

Lauren, I have only just begun to make use of this blog...

Glendale is a great choice. I guess we will wait and see. I understand that you have other interviews. Either way, we would love to have you and Erik here in the area if that works out.