Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Was Snookered

My children badgered me incessantly to get a new cat about a year ago. The former cat was taken to a shelter after a urinary infections caused her to abandon her litter box. I was reluctant to replace one bad situation for another. On a day of uncharacteristic weakness, I gave permission to my wife and two daughters to pick up a new cat from the pet store. Becky and Lindsay had already made a few trips to the pet store and had fallen in love with many of the cats on display.

I was on a business trip when I gave permission. When I returned home, I was surprised with two cats instead of the one. The rational, of course, was that the two cats were brother and sister and it would be unfair to seperate them. In fact, the logic continued, two cats are better than one because they will keep each other company and keep them from being under foot. I was out numbered 3 to 1 so what could I do. We now own two cats.

The grey Tabby is Dante and the Calico is Roxie.

It has taken awhile to warm up to the idea of two cats. This was made easier when one of the cats, the girl, took up fetching toy mice. One day, she dropped a toy mouse at my feet and sat down waiting for a response. I realized that she wanted to play. I tossed the mouse several feet away and she immediately chased down the mouse, carried it back and dropped it at my feet. Since that experience, we have played fetch every day that I am home.

The game has evolved to a new level. I now try to throw the mouse passed her. She crouches and readies herself. With third baseman-like reflexes, she bats the mouse to the floor. Occaisionaly she will catch the mouse in her paws or mouth. This is dog behavior! On a good day she is truly amazing. We can play for 20 minutes at a time. Her interest in the game remains high throughout.

Her brother on the other hand is wired differently. He shows little interest in the game. When he is interested, he cannot sustain it.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Poor Daddy... I've been told flat out that we're never getting a cat, and that we really need a dog. Erik hasn't snookered me, just told me how it's going to be. I see a big hairy smelly active dog in the future.

Heather Gerry said...

Look how cute they are though...You can't ever say no to that.