Saturday, April 26, 2008

91 Degrees and Fishing for Trout

A good friend of mine, Scott Barrett, has taken a position with a firm headquartered in Scottsdale. He has been in Scottsdale this week getting up to speed on his new duties and is staying over the weekend and through next week. This gave us the opportunity to go fly fishing this morning.

We fished locally on the Salt River just below the Seguaro Lake dam a few miles from my home. This was the first time either of us had fished in Arizona. It just seemed strange to fish for trout at 91 degrees in among the Suguaro Cactus and other desert fauna. This was also the first time I had fished in many years. I was rusty. Scott was kind enough to give me some "tips" to get me back up to speed. Scott is a nationally recognized fly fisherman so it is always a humbling experience to fish with him.

Scott actually pulled a rainbow out of the river and had a few other strikes and fish that came off the hook. I had a number of strikes and one fish that came off the hook. As with all fishing, catching something is not the only reason to fish. The time spent in the water and time talking is most of the fun.

I did learn that I have been away from fishing too long.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Remember the time that you took me fishing? It probably tried your patience, but I loved it. You can't be any worse than I was. I'm glad you got to go. What's Scott doing in Scottsdale?

Dave Boizelle said...

I do remember that fishing trip. You caught and cleaned the fish. I cooked it and you ate it. You weren't certain that you wanted to each it but I breaded the fish and you thought it tasted pretty good.

Scott is now working for Caremark, an HMO service center. He is responsible for the training technology.