Monday, November 24, 2008

EL TOUR of TUCSON




The 2008 tour of Tucson appears to have been a great success. Close to 7,000 riders competed in different elements of the 109 mile circuit. I rode the 67 mile course. Other distances included 80 miles and 30 miles. This is the largest perimeter (around the perimeter of a city) cycling event in the country.

As some of you know, I injured my hand a few weeks ago during a training ride. The results of the initial x-ray showed no broken bones but the MRI results I received last Friday indicated bone contusions on the second and third fingers of the right hand and torn ligaments on the third finger of the same hand. My family doctor gave me the name and number for a hand surgeon! Yikes! I have an appointment tomorrow. But I digress..

Given the uncertainty about my hand, I chose to ride a lessor distance. I wasn't certain that the hand would hold up for the 109 mile event. I actually enjoyed the 67 mile event. It was long enough to be a test of will but short enough to go for more speed.


The results are not official but I did place pretty well. I finished in about 100th place out of 1209 riders with a time somewhere around 3 hours 35 minutes, well within my goal. I started closer to the back of the group and the police caused us to stop at about 6 stop lights so I lost about 8-10 minutes of rolling time. Better luck next year.



I found this 2007 picture on the web by Leslie Hawes (www.lesliehawes.com/wordpress/?p=822) that is a good depiction of the race. She has others pictures of the event as well.




No comments: