Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Verdict

The verdict on the hand is in. It is quite simple, really. The hand surgeon told me that I have torn ligaments. Specifically, the rupture of the Radial Collateral Ligament of the Index Metacarpophalangeal Joint (how's that for medical lingo?).

That is the fiberous connecting ligament between the middle and index fingers at the joint where the fingers meet the hand.

The treatment for now is to keep the index and middle fingers from spreading apart and keeping the ligament from healing. I am using buddy tape to keep the fingers together. If after a few weeks the ligament does not heal, then the surgeon will make a small incision between the knuckle of the two fingers and sew the ligament back together.

I am not restricted from cycling. I just need to keep the fingers taped together.

No comments: